Monday, March 30, 2009

Twilight

This was an awesome movie! I didn't read the books (yet) but was able to follow along nicely. I had certain expectations and had heard rumors - but folks, it's about vampires so it wasn't really that hard to keep up. Unless you've been under a rock, you know what they look like, eat, act like, etc. No shockers there.
As for the overall feel, I really enjoyed the acting. Both lead characters did an excellent job. I have to say that my favorite acting was the secondary players though. Billy Burke as the dad was great - just like you'd expect in this role. Sarah Chalke as the mom was genius. The whole time I kept wondering where I knew her from and then BAM - she was the evil Nina on "24." (As a side note, several of the actors were in "24"... coincidence???)
There were issues with some of the directing that I need to point out. In the scene in which Edward shows Bella what he really looks like, his shirt is undone (thankyougod). But in the next shot, his shirt is buttoned up - not enough time to do this. There were several timing errors like this one that I caught - and I'm not a professional movie critic. This is the director's fault and it doesn't sound like it will be repeated as the gossip fodder is growing that Catherine Hardwicke may not be at the helm for the next series in this saga.
There is no sex, only a brief make-out scene. You don't actually get to see someone sucking the blood out of an unwilling human. There are a few scenes that border on that, but none that should make your teen have nightmares. In fact, it might make your teens hot for the male lead, steamy Robert Pattinson or the tomboy Kristen Stewart. I have to say that I've really liked Stewart's acting since "Panic Room." She's great in everything - I just wish she'd smile more.
As for the appropriateness, I would let 13 year olds and up view this. There are scenes that parents may feel are too grown-up for their smaller kids.
I would definitely say this movie is one to watch - and watch out for the sequels. I hope they don't disappoint.

3 comments:

Cat said...

I watched this Sunday night with hannah and Al. I really liked it but and I mean but I really enjoyed the book more. I'm interested in book two and how they will film it. I thought I'd never finish it and kept saying "enough Bella!" I had little patience for her. I also thought Jacob was way sexier but that's me. I'm not letting the trips watch this movie. They have not read the books and would not understand anything that is going on. Plus the whole violence thing would scare the crap out of Allie.

bethbbk said...

I know - I've got to read the books. As soon as school is over, I've got a list of stuff to do, and this series is on the list.

Laura said...

I hope I never get the chance to watch that movie.

I should probably hop on the bandwagon and get started on this series or it might pass me by like Harry Potter almost did. Did you see that the half-blood Prince is coming out?? EEEEEEEE!!