Friday, January 23, 2009

Downfall

Yes, it's in German. Don't let that stop you. Just read the subtitles. You'll get used to it - promise. If you can walk and chew gum, talk on the phone while driving or eat breakfast while checking your email, you can do that.
With all the buzz of Tom Cruise's new movie about Hitler, I thought it would be nice to review a really good movie about Hitler from the people who knew him.
As a disclosure, Bruno Ganz is my favorite male movie actor of all time. In "Downfall," he plays Hitler. Of course I loved his performance, but my admiration went to new lengths after watching reel footage of Hitler. Ganz picked up Hitler's mannerisms - it is truly brilliant.
The supporting cast is also excellent. I don't want to give too much away but this wonderful movie heralds Hitler's last days, mostly in the bunker with the rest of his faithful supporters. (Anyone who knows anything about WWII knows that Hitler dies, right?)
Despite Germany's imminent defeat, Hitler pushes his people on, determined to continue fighting. Some of his people defy his actions (I'm assuming this is where some of the Cruise film comes in).
Of particular significance is the family/military unit. The people in the bunker are like Hitler's extended family. It is clear he dotes on some more than others, and he has a loving partner to serve as the mother figure. What may not be known to most Americans, is what the real parents of some of the children who were living in the bunker did when they realized they were not going to win the war. I don't know how to put into words how I felt when I watched those scenes. It is emotional and I don't know what I would have done in their place.
As for the appropriateness of the movie, I'd go father than saying I'd let teens watch this, I'd ENCOURAGE them to watch this. It is a great history lesson and one they won't soon forget. My suggestion is for teens and up.
While I used to be a big Cruise fan, I'm not now. I haven't seen his movie, "Valkyrie," but I'm willing to bet you could get a lot more out of "Downfall." I hope you rent this (I have a copy). If you do watch this, please let me know what you thought.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Chad says - ask Beth about some cool movies to add to our Netflix list - because having a list of over 300 movies just isn't enough.

This sounds good. I bought a book about a month ago and am about to read it called the Zookeepers Wife...it's about a polish couple who decided to help out Jews during the war and put them in the animal cages for protection...I'll let you know if its good or not - but you know its based on true happenings and we all know what happens so it will probably be sad.

bethbbk said...

I know. I always find movies that I feel I must have. I remember the title of the book you are talking about - I'll have to get it after I graduate.
As for good movies on DVD to add to a collection - not just watch once, anything that's marked "Top Picks" here is good for starters. I could watch "Airplane" 20 times a day. Same goes for "Napoleon Dynamite." Movies I want to watch again and again are "Ethan Frome" and "The House of Mirth" for nostalgia; "The 39 Steps" from Hitchcock for old but smart mystery, "The Children of Men" and "The Day After Tomorrow" for environmental reasons; and my favorite sci-fi, "Contact." You know I love Jodie Foster. If you like foreign, watch "Volver" and "The Orphanage." Both are excellent! I want "The Orphanage."
Tell Chad: XO

bethbbk said...

Oh, and again in the foreign category: Spanish, "The Devil's Backbone." Del Toro of "Hellboy" fame crafts this one. Amazing effects!
For German, "Vitus," "Black Box" and "The Edukators." For Asian, "The Eye" (NOT the new American one), "2046" and "In the Mood for Love."