Monday, March 9, 2009

Max

I watched "Max" this week and felt it was such a good movie that I wondered why it had not received more buzz.
The movie is about an art dealer named Max who meets a young Hitler after WWI. Hitler is an aspiring artist and desperately wants Max to pick him up as a serious artist with his own show. Max, a Jewish playboy of sorts, is skeptical about the quality of Hitler's art and is concerned about his growing passion for politics, as it may interfere with his artistic career. Max and Hitler share a common background in that they served in WWI and lost something. Max lost an arm but came home to a family and continued wealth. Hitler came home to nothing but increasing bitterness.
Most interesting to me was the relationship between Max and Hitler. At times, Hitler begged Max for help, once even stating that Max had saved his life. Yet when Hitler had a political audience, he ranted on about how the Jews had poisoned the German bloodline. It was as though Hitler was living two lives and consciously knew it.
I did a small amount of research after watching the movie and found Hitler's work to be excellent. You be the judge. If you were to see these paintings in a museum, would you have known they had been painted by the same person who had millions of Jews killed? It doesn't seem possible that someone who could create life on canvas could so quickly take it all away in reality.
I really enjoy historical films and this one didn't disappoint. The actors were phenomenal. John Cusack played the title role while the exceptional Noah Taylor portrayed Hitler in scary detail. Leelee Sobieski played Max's lover while Molly Parker was Max's long-suffering wife. It was very moving - I got chills when Hitler addressed a large crowd in an auditorium. I wept for the real-life Jews who had to be a part of this atrocity.
I would recommend this movie to teens and up. Remember that it is only someone's interpretation of what happened, not that everything is exactly as it is laid out in the movie. Historical movies are usually 50% truth at best. A lot of liberties are taken. As I try to remind high school kids - don't watch the movie instead of studying for the test.

No comments: